[Ffmpeg-devel] [BUG] garbled sound when playing 8kHz MP3s

Stefan Gehrer stefan.gehrer
Wed Nov 15 23:33:35 CET 2006

Stefan Gehrer wrote:

>> is there any decoder besides lame which can decode it? if no then i
>> would
>> guess that the bug is in lame though thats just a guess (1 buggy
>> program vs.
>> 2 buggy programs)
>>
>> [...]
>>
> Actually yes, there is. It is just not publicly available. But I
> recently had to test
> an embedded decoder solution and compared it with open source decoders.
> The decoder under test and lame succeeded, ffplay/mplayer/mpg123 failed
> on the (lame-encoded) 8kHz sample. And I can assure you that the decoder
> under test did not have any code common with lame.
> I also came across this recently with a file from the Internet, I will
> see if I can
> dig out a link. Of course I would not know if this was lame-encoded or
> not.

You can find some 8kHz mp3s with described behaviour here:
http://www.addicks.net/astcrapper2k/
Actually some of them are fun to listen to (for those who understand
German):
That guy tries to trap spam calls on the phone using his Asterisk-based
answering machine and records the conversations.

Regards
Stefan Gehrer