[Ffmpeg-devel] moving non-SIMD parts of libswscale to LGPL

Roine Gustafsson roine
Thu Nov 16 14:25:37 CET 2006

On Nov 16, 2006, at 5:15 PM, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> But what is the rule on how extensive a mod has to be to warrant
> adding oneself to the copyright list at the top of a source?

That your contribution is covered by copyright. Anything that
constitutes "a work of height" is awarded copyright protection. Some
things are specifically not covered, like "mere aggregations" (e.g.
numbers in a phonebook), aka the database exception.

A patch that fixes an obvious mistake, changes indentation or moves a
function is likely not covered by copyright. Even trivial files like
header files or even the raw codec might not be considered covered by
copyright, however courts tend to lean towards allowing copyright
protection for grey area cases.

A policy on when to add your own name would be convenient to have,
like 'modifying more than X lines -or- adding new functionality'
means adding your name to the top and to the CREDITS file. This would
lead to dozens of names in every file, but I guess that's the most
correct way of doing it.

(BTW, I think the database exception rule has led some people here to
believe that tables are not covered by copyright, which is not
necessarily true. If the data in the table can be considered a work
and is not just a "mere aggregation", the table is covered by
copyright.)

This is based on US copyright law, IANAL, not to be construed as
legal advice, consult your own lawyer, may cause skin irritation
after prolonged exposure etc.

   Roine