[Ffmpeg-devel] [patch] rc buffer bits reservation for I-frames

Jindrich Makovicka makovick
Fri Nov 24 17:15:16 CET 2006

On 11/24/06, Guillaume Poirier <gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu> wrote:
> Maybe I'm not getting the point, but wouldn't it be better to fix
> whatever is wrong with the RC decisions at tight bitrate constrains
> rather than adding "yet another custom-fitted option" ?

I am not sure how to do this 100% properly. You probably would have to
buffer all the frames up to the next scene change, encode the
following I-frame and then encode the previous I/B frames. But using
the size of the previous I-frame works quite well.

> x264'RC being as good as it is, wouldn't it be nice to borrow some of
> the ideas from there and put them in lavc's RC?
> Alternatively, would it be possible to import x264's RC just like
> xvid's RC was imported?

Actually, we observe the same problem with x264. I sent a similar
patch to x264 ML, with no response.

Regards,
--
Jindrich Makovicka