[Ffmpeg-devel] The Ffmpeg on Mac OS X Howto

Víctor Paesa wzrlpy
Tue Oct 3 09:04:14 CEST 2006

Hi,
> Greetings All,
>
> After spending a week using Ffmpeg for a client, I wrote up an article
> describing what I had learned.  Among other things this article will
> answer
> these questions:
>
> How can I use Subversion to get the latest version of Ffmpeg?
> Why is there no audio when I convert to Flash video?
> Why do I get an error message when I try to convert Quicktime?
> Why doesn't the progress bar work in Jeroen Wijering's Flash Video Player?
>
> Since this article will help Mac users move beyond using an outdated
> version
> of Ffmpeg that they get from Fink or Darwinports, and then coming to the
> mailing lists to ask why it doesn't work, I thought the Ffmpeg developers
> might be interested in linking to it.
>
> In any case, thanks for looking at my article, which is here:
>
> http://stephenjungels.com/jungels.net/articles/ffmpeg-howto.html

In your article I found:
      "-b 600" selects a video bitrate of 600 kilobits per second. This is a
compromise between quality and bandwidth;
      "-ab 96" selects an audio bit rate of 96 kilobits per second; you
could go a little lower for voice-only audio.

That's correct for old FFmpeg versions, but I'd suggest to mention that
current SVN versions of ffmpeg have changed the scale and now expect
bits per second instead of kilobits per second.

The line in your example would become:
ffmpeg -i video.mov -b 600k -r 24 -ar 22050 -ab 96k video.flv

Regards,
V?ctor Paesa