[Ffmpeg-devel] make test fails

Dana Hudes dhudes
Tue Oct 3 15:33:02 CEST 2006

Stefan Gehrer wrote:
> Dana Hudes wrote:
>>
>> Reporting that make test fails is not a usage question.  It is a
>> tentative bug report and there is no other mailing list for ffmpeg.
> This list is called ffmpeg-devel.
>
> Quoting ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/mailinglists.html:
> After you have a good bug report, subscribe to and email the
> ffmpeg-user list.

I don't know what you're looking at but the page you reference says:

    If you find a problem with FFmpeg, you can submit a report to the
ffmpeg-devel mailing list
<http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-devel>. Before
reporting a bug, please consider the following items:

    Be sure that you are using the latest SVN version of FFmpeg. The
FFmpeg project is constantly evolving and does not make formal releases
very often. The latest     release is likely to be very out of date. Use
the very latest SVN version of FFmpeg or your report is likely to be
disregarded.

I am therefore following instructions by submitting the bug report
(regression test failure) to the appropriate mailing list specified by
the lead developers. I would appreciate if people don't give me abuse
for following instructions. furthremore, this sort of report is
typically sent to mailig list of developers. That is the case with e.g.
postgresql. With Perl, there is a separate perl-porters list to keep
discussion of new language features and release progress out of the way
of porting issues. Speaking of which, I'm able to offer at least
build+regression  testing on Sun SPARC solaris 8/9/10 using gcc (the
sunfreeware version of gcc3.x for 8; for  9 and 10, the Sun cooltools
gcc4) on Ultra II,III+,IV and Niagra chipset machines including the new
T2000 (Niagra 4 cpu 8 core), a SunFire v490 (4 dual core Ultra IV
1500MHZ), and a SunFire 15K (8 cpu Ultra III+). Whether I will
contribute anything substantive to the project beyond QA remains to be
seen. I don't know that anyone is really keen on a steganography
addition but that might be amusing to write; I'd have to do some digging
in the literature. I know that a professor in the computer engineering
dept. at Stevens Institute of Technology is working on motion
compression I have to see who is involved and what they're up to (if any
readers of this list are one of the students working on that speak up)
and it might be possible to bring that work in if its not already here.

Oh as for your wikiepedia article, that's nice. Have you ever read
Spaf's netequitte FAQ? It predates Wikipedia by at least 10 years.