[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Advocating periodic releases

Panagiotis Issaris takis.issaris
Fri Oct 6 17:22:07 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 06:14:11PM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 16:19 +0200, Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
> > Slightly off topic, but I really can't resist... mentioning that GIT might
> > be just that advanced version control system you are looking for :) Well,
> > seriously, I think it has a _lot_ of advantages to traditional version control
> > systems such as CVS or SVN. To convince some colleagues, I posted something on
> > my blog [1] regarding GIT.
>
> While I don't really disagree, I think the way you phrase this is
> somewhat misleading. Distributed systems do have several advantages over
> "traditional" ones, but you make it sound as if those advantages were
> unique to GIT. The main reasons to stay with CVS and SVN are inertia and
> their known stability; once you decide to move to something newer the
> main competitors of GIT are other distributed systems.
True. I should have mentioned other systems, such as Bitkeeper, Bazaar, TLA,
Svk, darcs, ...

But, some of them have not been used intensively enough for my liking. The only
two of them that have effectively been used on large projects AFAIK are
Bitkeeper and GIT. As Bitkeeper is closed-source and commercial software, the
choice was rather easy for me :)

With friendly regards,
Takis