[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Advocating periodic releases

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Fri Oct 6 18:16:07 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 11:33 -0400, Dana Hudes wrote:
> With all due respect I would find it very confusing to have releases in
> the same repository as development. That may be how you like to do

"very confusing"??? Exactly who would be confused?

> things and you have every right to that opinion but my professional
> configuration management experience screams no!!!. I have no objection

Having releases as branches is quite a standard arrangement, and doesn't
seem to have major problems. Yet you sound as if this was a surprising
or particularly bad way to do things.

> in principle to the use of the svn *server* at mplayerhq, but release
> are not development and in a proper environment developers do not have
> privileges to check things into the release tree.

The way you talk of "my professional configuration management
experience", "proper environment" and how releases need to be protected
from developers (and with mechanical privilege checks rather than
guidelines so they cannot change anything even if they try) makes you
sound quite out of touch with reality. I doubt you could create a
working release process for FFmpeg.