[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Advocating periodic releases

Roman Shaposhnick rvs
Fri Oct 6 22:25:16 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 11:33 -0400, Dana Hudes wrote:
> With all due respect I would find it very confusing to have releases in
> the same repository as development.

  I hope that there's a terminological misunderstanding here, 'cause
otherwise it would suggest that a  notion of a branch in the same
repository is something you are not aware of.

> That may be how you like to do
> things and you have every right to that opinion but my professional
> configuration management experience screams no!!!. I have no objection
> in principle to the use of the svn *server* at mplayerhq, but release
> are not development and in a proper environment developers do not have
> privileges to check things into the release tree.

  Hm. That is an OK and in fact quite useful model, but as Michael
pointed out that would be somewhat external to the FFMpeg and the
level of endorsement by the FFmpeg project is yet to be determined.

  That said, if shouldn't really discourage you from setting up
such a model, as long as your realize all the ramifications of doing
it the way you've described. Because you see -- if you do it properly,
either way would be *extremely* useful.

>  Rather, they submit release candidate code to the CM team and if it
> passes whatever QA/test then it gets checked in as a part of a release
> candidate or development and released to see if there are any issues for
> which we don't have tests

  That sounds like a "Pull model". Which is absolutely OK to have as
long as you have enough manpower to negotiate "private" fixes back
into the trunk.

Thanks,
Roman.