[Ffmpeg-devel] [rfc] arch specific dir in libavutil

Roman Shaposhnik rvs
Mon Oct 9 20:46:01 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 00:45 +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> > if we have pages of asm code for various cpus then arch specific dirs make
> > sense for the few lines in avutil it does not and anyway whats your rational
> > for them?
>
> that w/out nobody would add them for other arches because it would cause
> bloat:
>
> 5 lines for every major arch and its variant would just grow to pages
> quickly: think about blackfin, arm variants, ppc/ppc64 variants,
> x86/x86_64, sparc, mips.
>
> 5 lines is just an oneliner with 2 ifdefs, do it for most of the arches
> and you have already a monster of over a page.

  I too, would very much like to see this happen. If for nothing else
but to make it easier on me to tinker with OpenSPARC T2 optimizations.

It seems to me that the architecture proposed by Luca has a very nice
benefit of facilitating ports without making the person doing it go over
100+ different files to hunt down these one-liners. It also helps a lot
with compiling ffmpeg with different compilers, etc.

  So, the question is -- would there be a happy medium to which Michael
would agree ?

Thanks,
Roman.