[Ffmpeg-devel] [rfc] arch specific dir in libavutil

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Tue Oct 10 12:40:56 CEST 2006

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi

>>> that w/out nobody would add them for other arches because it would cause
>>> bloat:
>>>
>>> 5 lines for every major arch and its variant would just grow to pages
>>> quickly: think about blackfin, arm variants, ppc/ppc64 variants,
>>> x86/x86_64, sparc, mips.
>>>
>>> 5 lines is just an oneliner with 2 ifdefs, do it for most of the arches
>>> and you have already a monster of over a page.
>>   I too, would very much like to see this happen. If for nothing else
>> but to make it easier on me to tinker with OpenSPARC T2 optimizations.
>>
>> It seems to me that the architecture proposed by Luca has a very nice
>> benefit of facilitating ports without making the person doing it go over
>> 100+ different files to hunt down these one-liners.
>
> grep asm

grep asm libavutil/* | wc -l
16
grep asm libavcodec/* | wc -l
18

just 34 match. (libavformat doesn't have any and postprocess isn't
something I'd put in the mix)

> iam not against moving asm code into there own files if that can cleanly be
> done, choping up functions and having them reassebled by a mix of
> preprocessor directives just to seperate the asm is someting i wont agree
> to though

I'll check later and propose something, Romain are you going to help me?

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC