[Ffmpeg-devel] [rfc] arch specific dir in libavutil

Roman Shaposhnik rvs
Wed Oct 11 05:59:41 CEST 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 11:25 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

>> It also helps a lot
>> with compiling ffmpeg with different compilers, etc.
>
> all the asm is under #ifdef

   The problem is -- these are mostly __GNUC__ ifdefs. As I pointed
out some time ago -- this is on my TODO list, but even if I fix
it it would still be a problem for alternative implementations
of the same ASM functions (e.g. as real .s files or some such).
The later one is a bit of a far fetched example, but with project
like FFmpeg you never know what kind of environment folks
would like to run it under.

>>   So, the question is -- would there be a happy medium to which
>> Michael
>> would agree ?
>
> iam not against moving asm code into there own files if that can
> cleanly be
> done, choping up functions and having them reassebled by a mix of
> preprocessor directives just to seperate the asm is someting i wont
> agree
> to though

   Fair enough. So lets see what Luca and I can do better in that
regard.

Thanks,
Roman.