[Ffmpeg-devel] MP3 decoding from RTP stream. Getting "invalid new backstep"

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Oct 26 00:26:18 CEST 2006

Hi

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 06:58:45PM +0200, marthi at graphics.cs.uni-sb.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using ffmpeg to encode MP3 data transmit it over RTP and decode it.
> If I start the RTP sender before the receiver I get warnings on the
> decoder side from the ffmpeg library (only at the very beginning):
>
> backstep:452, lastbuf:0
> invalid new backstep 381
> overread, skip -5 enddists: -4 -4
> overread, skip -9 enddists: -1 -1
> invalid new backstep 382
>
> The sound is distorted as well (just for 1 second or so). Is it somehow
> possible to tell the AVParser or the decoder to discard the frames that
> leads to the distortion?

yes if you implement it and send a patch, and yes i fully agree that the
mp3 decoder should discard such packets instead of annoying the user
with the noise
just look at the code which outputs the error messages and silence the
output somehowm shouldnt be too hard