[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Suspected GPL violation by Erightsoft "super"

Alexey Sidelnikov avs99
Fri Oct 27 03:11:17 CEST 2006

Hi!

> > Well, from the first and third paragraphs I'd say it is clear that I can
> > use ffmpeg.exe in non-GPL program, do you agree? I mean, just call it
> > with some command line, and take its output.
> >
> > The second paragraph explicitly prohibits "modules including in one EXE
> > file", but I'd say it does not have the meaning of packing into 1
> > zip/exe file, what would you say? If I provide 1 exe file with ffmpeg
> > which runs, after decompression, as a separate process - is it violation
> > of GPL license?
>
> IANAL, but I think that if the exe is an installer/archive and the binaries
> inside are built from _unmodified_ GPL sources, then it's not a violation.
> However, if they've been modified (like in this case), then those
> modifications are covered by the GPL and _must_ be provided in source form,
> too.

Well, I think providing modified ffmpeg's sources is not a question at all, that
is stated explicitly. But as far as I understood the previous author, he claims
that the whole code should be GPLed (i.e. should be open) - I mean that GUI or
whatever that SUPER codec provides. I'm not really sure if that is the case
actually, that's why I followed this topic :)

Thanks,

Alexey