[Ffmpeg-devel] DECLARE_ALIGNED_16 not honoured correctly in MinGW

Steve Lhomme slhomme
Fri Oct 27 18:43:21 CEST 2006

Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> Steve Lhomme skrev:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are encountering a crash when calling DrFFMPEG from DrDivX on
>> Windows. The crash occurs when decoding WMA content. After some
>> investigation it appears that this declaration in wmadec.c doesn't
>> produce what it's supposed to do:
>>
>> DECLARE_ALIGNED_16(FFTSample, output[BLOCK_MAX_SIZE * 2]);
>>
>> When the DLL (could be libavcodec) is called from MSVC code 'output'
>> is not aligned to 16 bits (0x01F36D28 in this case for example). And
>> it crashes the SSE code used later. But it works fine when everything
>> is built with MinGW. It appears that gcc assumes the stack is already
>> aligned a certain way when it does the alignment of this variable in
>> the stack. And this is not true when the stack is given by MSVC code.
>>
>> Now I understand there's no support for MSVC here, but on the other
>> hand libavcodec is a library, no matter how it's being called. Plus
>> the bug is not in MSVC (who has the right to do whatever they want
>> with the stack) but in gcc.
>>
>> So my question is: does anybody know a way to make gcc behave
>> correctly in such case ?
>>
>> The other possibility I see to avoid the crash in my case is to add a
>> test in ff_imdct_calc_sse() and vector_fmul_add_add_sse() to use the C
>> code if one of the parameter passed is not aligned as it should. (I
>> could make the patch if the solution is OK)
>>
>> Thanks
>> Steve
>
> I'm just confirming this. There has been several reported instances of
> this on irc. Both with mingw and with gcc on BeOS. And I would reject
> the proposed imdct hack and use an aligned malloc instead (assuming that
> atleast mallocs can be aligned properly), that should work just as well
> if I remember the code correctly.

Here is the code I use to avoid the crash. It seems to work well. There
are still some DECLARE_ALIGNED_16 in structures which can't be turned
into alloca(), av_malloc() or whatever else... The only safe solution
for these is to make sure gcc does what it's supposed to do... And I
don't plan to fix gcc.

Steve