[Ffmpeg-devel] Call for volunteers to write NUT de/muxer for libavformat

Oded Shimon ods15
Mon Oct 30 19:49:25 CET 2006

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 10:39:49AM -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Oded Shimon wrote:
> >Subject pretty much says it all. A NUT de/muxer in libavformat is
> >currently the major bottleneck for starting to advertise NUT.
> >
> >There are still complaints on the readability of the spec. Rich and I have
> >been working on an informative "introduction" document which IMO gives
> >the starting knowledge necessary to understand the spec. I might be
> >completely wrong on this, but we cannot know until someone who has no
> >previous knowledge on NUT steps in and tells us what trouble he runs into.
> >
> >Any volunteers? Please sign up to nut-devel at mplayerhq.hu and inform us...
>
> I can review the MultimediaWiki page and start cleaning it up as I see
> fit.

The MultimediaWiki page only has one part of NUT documented - seeking, and
more specifically, the seeking implementation in libnut. It's actually the
one thing the lavf demuxer doesn't really need to do. The libnut seeking
algo is very optimal and very complex, a much simpler seeking algo would
suffice for lavf. Most of NUT is documented at the NUT SVN, and the spec
is at mplayer/DOCS/tech/nut.txt .

> Maybe I can even knock out a standalone parser, or perhaps a
> Hachoir parser.

What does Hachoir mean? And what do you mean by standalone parser? libnut
is already a standalone demuxer. A de/muxer for libavformat is necessary.

> However, are their any sample files I can look at to get
> me started?

Make them yourself from either ogg vorbis files or mpeg-4+mp3+avi files
using nutmerge - svn co svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/nut/

The files (should) have perfect up-to-date to spec compliance, except for
one thing - the NUT version at the top of file. I will push that once I
make nutmerge more strict...

- ods15