[Ffmpeg-devel] [OT] How to send e-mails compliant with mailman's threading with Thunderbird?

angustia at arrozcru.no-ip.org angustia
Fri Sep 1 00:23:21 CEST 2006

Hello,

First off, sorry about this OT post, but I don't want to cause any more
incorrectly threaded e-mails in the list, and I'm sincerely lost...

At first I used to write to the list using my Hotmail account and Outlook
Express. That combination obviously screwed up all quoting and the
threading in the archives. My e-mails were scattered all over the place
being identified as replies to anything (in the ffmpeg-devel archives)...

So I switched to Thunderbird, but my e-mails still screwed up the
threading. Now I switched e-mail accounts to another server (I thought it
was Hotmail or the Hotmail plugin in ThunderBird that was doing something
non-compliant). But I see that I'm still causing the same problems in the
threads. Using SquirrelMail (Webmail) also caused the same thing, which is
weird, since I see other people using SquirrelMail with success on the
list.

It seems to not work properly with replies *and* new messages. For new
messages I compose a clean new mail to the list. For replies I simply hit
"Reply".

In Thunderbird, I get the threads correctly, but the list's archives don't.

I'm lost. Could anyone help me out identifying what is causing this?
Basically I need to know how mailman decides threading, so that I can
comply with it. Is there any extra configuration I must do for
Thunderbird, or is my last resort switching to some win32 port of mutt?

Thanks, and sorry for the OT again, but I hope it also helps more people
in the same situation as me.

Ramiro Polla