[Ffmpeg-devel] overall license review - adding proper license headers

Diego Biurrun diego
Sat Sep 2 19:05:27 CEST 2006

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 09:25:38AM -0700, Michel Lespinasse wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 04:12:34PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > Are you the author?  Did you give the permission to license it as LGPL
> > within libavcodec?
>
> I am the main contributor I believe, but there has been others too.

OK

> > Do you have some pointers?  I haven't been in this discussion, it must
> > have been before my time, I'd be interested in reading up on it.
>
> That was september 2003. I dont know where to find an ffmpeg list archive.

That was well before my time.  The problem is that the archives are only
for the new mailing list on mplayerhq.hu.

> The licensing question came up, Rich went on and on about ffmpeg being free
> to do whatever they please since the wording was unclear and how "someone
> without a basic grasp on logic should not be coding". I told him that
> he was being an asshole about this and the wording was Fabrice's.

I'm fully aware that the wording may not be yours.  Nonetheless this
issue needs clarification.  Let's please leave old grudges aside now.

I'll simply ask you now: Did/Do you agree to relicense that file under the
LGPL for FFmpeg?  If yes, then I'll change the license (unless there are
other contributors that need to be notified/asked), if no, I'll remove
that note.

Diego