[Ffmpeg-devel] overall license review - adding proper license headers

Diego Biurrun diego
Sun Sep 3 17:50:06 CEST 2006

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 07:05:27PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 09:25:38AM -0700, Michel Lespinasse wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 04:12:34PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > Do you have some pointers?  I haven't been in this discussion, it must
> > > have been before my time, I'd be interested in reading up on it.
> >
> > That was september 2003. I dont know where to find an ffmpeg list archive.
>
> That was well before my time.  The problem is that the archives are only
> for the new mailing list on mplayerhq.hu.

Found it on gmane:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/5867/focus=5867

> > The licensing question came up, Rich went on and on about ffmpeg being free
> > to do whatever they please since the wording was unclear and how "someone
> > without a basic grasp on logic should not be coding". I told him that
> > he was being an asshole about this and the wording was Fabrice's.
>
> I'm fully aware that the wording may not be yours.  Nonetheless this
> issue needs clarification.  Let's please leave old grudges aside now.
>
> I'll simply ask you now: Did/Do you agree to relicense that file under the
> LGPL for FFmpeg?  If yes, then I'll change the license (unless there are
> other contributors that need to be notified/asked), if no, I'll remove
> that note.

Judging by that old thread and what Michel has said here I have to
assume that it's GPL-only and not going to be relicensed.  Unless Michel
decides to relicense his code I'm going to remove the confusing note
from the top of the file and put it under --enable-gpl in a few days.

Diego