[Ffmpeg-devel] h264 playback performance

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Tue Sep 19 11:01:29 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 9/19/06, Steven Ellis <mail_lists at stevencherie.net> wrote:
> Andreas ?man wrote:
> > The file is called 'SVT HD Teaser-ac3-chopped.ts' and uploaded to
> > ftp://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming
> >
> Can you confirm the filename as I tried to grab it and got a 404.
>
> > Secondly... (and the reason i sent the mail to ffmpeg-devel)
> >
> > Has there been any thoughts about making the h264-decoder
> > multithreaded? With the arrival of multi-core CPUs it would
> > seem like a wise thing to ponder.
> Yes i'm also interested in SMP support for multiple threads. Would make
> dual core 3600+ processors suitable for 1080i video playback.

Well, it's not that simple! :-) You need to find tasks that are
suitable for parallelization. If Multi-threaded support means that you
deport just 10-20% to the other CPU, that won't make your 3600+
blazing fast all of the sudden...

Multi-threaded support is _really_ not an easy thing to do..

BTW, if you are looking for a suposibly multi-threaded version of
MPlayer, you can look that this fork of MPlayer:
http://mplayerxp.sourceforge.net/

Guillaume
--
With DADVSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI), France finally has
a lead on USA on selling out individuals right to corporations!