[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] use optimized routines "à la" SMP-alternatives

Rich Felker dalias
Fri Sep 22 16:48:01 CEST 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 11:12:25AM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 09:44 +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> > GNU is indeed somewhat following the footsteps of Microsoft on the
> > "embrace and extend" strategy (c.f. the discussion on the "visibility"
> > patch). Bummer!
>
> What exactly is it that you're complaining about? What would have been a
> better or more compatible/standard way to add support for those
> features? If you're implying that new features can not be added via
> _any_ process that doesn't make much sense.

I'm not just implying but explicitly stating that you should never add
a feature unless it's actually useful, especially in core parts of the
system that should just implement the standard and compete on quality
of implementation rather than doing this whole "embrace and extend"
thing in an attempt to shut out competition.

Rich