[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: fastmemcpy in ffmpeg

Rich Felker dalias
Thu Sep 28 03:48:32 CEST 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 07:42:37PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> writes:
>
> > Rich Felker wrote:
> >> I don't respect argument-by-insisting-your-claim-is-"known facts".
> >
> > Aren't you the one who likes to claim that it's absolutely
> > inconceivable that hardware float ops could ever be as fast or faster
> > than hardware int ops, despite copious empirical evidence to the
> > contrary?
>
> Not on a K6-2.

It's a K6-3+. And my argument is not that float is slower on recent
cpus. It's that integer ops are universally fast whereas float is fast
only on "advanced" cpus, and moreover that integer ops _could_ be
several times as fast as float ops if the damn cpu manufacturers would
put as much work into integer performance as they waste on float
performance.

Rich