[Ffmpeg-devel] MpegEncContext Pictures in codec development

Denis Fortin fortin
Thu Sep 28 21:37:30 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm writing a codec (vc1 coder), and i'm a little confused about all
those pictures in
MpegEncContext.

Currently i need to store the result of an encoded/decoded I frame (for
future use in P frames). From what i could understand new_picture is the
original picture (the one to encode) and current_picture is the one i
should use to store the encoded/decoded I frame.
Am i right ?
Then how can i get a correctly allocated current_picture ?

More generally, how the picture/ff_find_unused_picture stuff is
working :
When encoding a P frame, how should i get the forward/backward ref
pictures ?
How the reordered P frames are stored while encoding the forward ref
picture ?
           vv
          IPPIPP...

Thanks,