[Ffmpeg-devel] Linking statically against libavcodec

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Mon Apr 2 12:14:38 CEST 2007

Julian Lamberty wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm having a problem linking statically against the
> libavcodec/libaformat libs. I included the header files in myprog.c
>
> After building myprog.o from myprog.c I use "gcc myprog.o
> -Lffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.a -Lffmpeg/libavformat/libavformat.a -o
> myprog" but gcc reports many undefined references ("av_register_all()",
> "av_open_input_file()",...). Aren't these functions included in the
> libs? What other files do I have to link against?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Julian

(1) Either use -Lffmpeg/libavformat -lavformat, or simply
ffmpeg/libavformat/libavformat.a. Ditto for the other ffmpeg libs.

(2) With static libs, order matters. Besides you need libavutil too.
Hence it must be

libavformat libavcodec libavutil

(3) Questions about developping *with* the ffmpeg libraries, belong on
ffmpeg-user. ffmpeg-devel is reserved for the development *of* ffmpeg.

HaND,
--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director