[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Broken trunk on AMD64 with PIC enabled

Trent Piepho xyzzy
Wed Apr 4 21:56:46 CEST 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> ive already said i ve no time ATM (yeah google soc ...) for this disscussion
> which is likely why you and uoti continue it instead of providing any useable
> help in correcting the problem (that is a patch we can apply ...)

I don't have an amd64 system, so there is no way I can provide a tested
patch.  I think Diego Petten??'s patch that he already sent to the list is
probably the best that one can hope for.  The asm code used in cabac.h
isn't suitable for a x86-64 DSO.  In order to use an asm cabac in a x86-64
DSO, new asm must be used, and something as simple as changing MANGLE isn't
enough to do it.  IMHO, tt hardly seems worth the trouble.

> also rip relative is also limited to 32bit offsets ...

But that 4GB space can be anywhere in the 64-bit address space.