[Ffmpeg-devel] Potential FFmpeg Licence Violation 'Koyote Ipod video converter for free'

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik
Tue Apr 10 14:55:03 CEST 2007

On Tuesday, 10 April 2007 at 14:49, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Benjamin Larsson <banan at ludd.ltu.se> writes:
>
> > M?ns Rullg?rd skrev:

> >> If they are using the directshow wrappers in ffdshow, it is far from
> >> clear that they are violating anything by the process of linking.  If
> >> they are simply requesting, say, an MPEG2 decoder through the standard
> >> directshow api, their product is no more a derivative of lavc than it
> >> is of any other MPEG2 decoder with a dshow interface.
> >>
> >> Linking aside, since they are distributing lavc, they must also
> >> distribute source for lavc, regardless of the license of their code.
> >>
> >> As always, it is best to initially approach them in a friendly tone,
> >> alerting them of their duties.  If they refuse to comply, we can start
> >> getting nasty (well, as nasty as we can get without deep pockets
> >> feeding the lawyers).
> >>

> > How about we just start a black list of applications that use ffmpeg
> > and libs without the correct attribution on ffmpeg.org? At least then
> > we would have a hall of shame. Now all this info is burried in the
> > mailinglist archives.
>
> That would be a start.  Feel free to start compiling the list.

We already have such list: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/projects.html#blacklist

I will ask Koyote author to give proper credit to FFmpeg and comply with its
license.

Regards,
R.

--