[Ffmpeg-devel] Creating releases

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sat Apr 14 13:58:17 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 01:34:38PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
[...]
> I would volunteer to help creating formal releases, so that the ffmpeg
> development doesn't get slowed down by additional workload. Probably
> most of the release process could be automated enough to have often
> enough releases to track the fast development pace of ffmpeg.
>
> The choice when to cut a release would have to come from the
> development team/head, though.
>
> What do you think?

The concensus I think still is that release are welcome but the
developers will not spend any time on anything related to releases.
So when to make a release is also the decision of whoever does them - at
least that is my opinion.
Of course, if you ask if there are any known critical bugs that would
stop a release I'd expect you will get a reply. But anyone who follows
the lists should be aware of most issues anyway, and one of the people
doing releases sure will follow the lists I expect.
Since you are a group of people already doing "distro-local" releases,
why not just go ahead and try make common "releases"? Is there anything
you would need support of the ffmpeg developers for except official
endorsement (which I personally would reserve until it has proven itself
to work, by what time it probably isn't that important anymore)?

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger