[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Creating releases

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm
Sat Apr 14 14:14:05 CEST 2007

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 01:58:17PM +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 01:34:38PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> [...]
> > I would volunteer to help creating formal releases, so that the ffmpeg
> > development doesn't get slowed down by additional workload. Probably
> > most of the release process could be automated enough to have often
> > enough releases to track the fast development pace of ffmpeg.
> >
> > The choice when to cut a release would have to come from the
> > development team/head, though.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> The concensus I think still is that release are welcome but the
> developers will not spend any time on anything related to releases.
> So when to make a release is also the decision of whoever does them - at
> least that is my opinion.

I think this is the only thing that the developers should do, choose
the release point in time. I'm just offering the slave labour ;)
(well, actually I'm offering to make sure releases get properly out
there including fixing anything that may pop up on the way)

> Since you are a group of people already doing "distro-local" releases,
> why not just go ahead and try make common "releases"? Is there anything
> you would need support of the ffmpeg developers for except official
> endorsement (which I personally would reserve until it has proven itself
> to work, by what time it probably isn't that important anymore)?

That would like forking and asking for official blessing
afterwards. But if you like to see it that way, we already do then the
"local" release process by tarballing a svn snapshot & local patches
into the packages and checking that it works in our contexts.

But I'm after a bigger picture here, including not only the Red Hat
family, but also other distros and finally also other projects that
keep a local copy of their "locally released" ffmpeg.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net