[Ffmpeg-devel] FFServer and RTSP

Alex Beregszaszi alex
Sun Apr 15 12:58:34 CEST 2007

Hi,

> Even not considering the crashes, ffserver has some other "funny
> behaviour" when streaming RTP: for example, the first two frames read
> from the file have the same PTSs and DTSs, sometimes resulting in a
> "error, non monotone timestamps 45000 >= 45000 st:1" error when trying
> to stream them (I say sometimes, because if the first PTS is 0 then the

The timing is broken in .ffm. I'm cleaning it up, but didn't managed to
share all the patches yet.

> error does not occourr...). I think the error is due to the fact that
> the file is opened (with av_open_input_file()), but
> av_find_stream_info() is not invoked...
> Is it legal to open a file for reading (av_open_input_file()), and start
> reading frames from it without performing an av_find_stream_info()?

Did you found that in the HTTP part too?

> Anyway, it seems to me that ffserver is in a very bad shape regarding
> RTSP/RTS streaming...
> So I'd like to have an opinion from other people (an opinion from the
> official maintainer would be appreciated :): is there any hope in fixing
> ffserver for RTP streaming? (did it ever work, at least one time?).

Sadly I don't really know the RTP/RTSP part of the code, was fixing only
overall bugs and HTTP part, which works for me quite reliable. We are
usin git now for 3 months, without any crashes.

> Or would it be simpler to start developing a new RTP streaming
> application from scratch? I am beginning to think the second option
> would require less work... :(

I guess it would be easier :)

--
Alex Beregszaszi