[Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Apr 16 03:34:23 CEST 2007

Hi

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 09:11:52PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> > > Any example of relevant platform which is not supported ?
> > > This list already seems pretty long and contains quite some "exotic" arch:
> > > http://www.python.org/download/other/
> >
> > Having explicit ports to various obscure systems and having portable
> > code (i.e. code that does not depend on any nonportable features and
> > have to be rewritten for each platform) are two very different things.
> > Just to make you happy I'll try building it again and see what
> > happens...
> >
> > Results coming soon.
>
> And they're very bad!
>
> I can't figure out how to get the damn thing to stop trying to build
> all its modules as .so files and link them properly. I tried faking
> uname to get it to stop assuming I'm using "GNU/Linux", then even
> passing --without-gcc. No luck.

hmm, what about a wraper around gcc/linker which fails builing .so? is their
configure smart enough and falls back to normal objects?
or what about a gcc warper which simply builds normal objects when asked
to build .so ...

or asking the python devels ...

sorry ive never build python ...

> If anyone still wants to claim Python is portable C, please tell me
> how to build it without any linker hacks as a plain C program.
>
> -Rich
>

> P.S. There were also minor bugs in the source, missing #ifdefs, etc.,
> which I corrected without much effort,

submit patch to the python devels :)

> but the above seems like the
> main issue.

There will always be a question for which you do not know the correct awnser.