[Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Mon Apr 16 04:10:06 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 03:09 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> if you have 2 seperate repos, one mplayer, one ffmpeg and you
> want to move a directory like libswscale with its files and full history from
> mplayer to ffmpeg how can that be done?

That depends on what you mean by "full history". I think the definition
is far from obvious.

Full development history for libswscale would contain the full
development history of MPlayer (at least until the last revision that
changed libswscale). I think that would be impractical.

You could then define some changed version of past history where
changesets are cut to only the part under libswscale/ and changes which
thus become empty are dropped. Renames between the "inside/outside"
would be changed to additions or deletions. I'm not sure whether any
tool has direct support for modifying history like this but it is
possible.
Once you have such a modified MPlayer repository you could then make a
normal merge (just one where the branches being merged are completely
separate and share no files) of that "branch" to FFmpeg. The resulting
repository would have full history for FFmpeg and modified partial
history for libswscale (which would contain all past versions of files
there). However if you tried to checkout any single version from before
the merge then it would either contain no libswscale or only libswscale
depending on which side of the merged branches that version came from.

A third option would be to completely rework the history to interleave
the libswscale commits between the FFmpeg ones based on commit date (so
many commits would have completely different parents from what they did
in the original etc). This is basically building a new repository with
different history.