[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Creating releases

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm
Mon Apr 16 12:36:52 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 12:11:24PM -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 14:14 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > But I'm after a bigger picture here, including not only the Red Hat
> > family, but also other distros and finally also other projects that
> > keep a local copy of their "locally released" ffmpeg.
>
> Axel, I wouldn't mind doing a monthly ffmpeg sync in MythTV if
> you sent me a quick monthly e-mail with a revision to sync to.

The idea would be to sync to the latest official ffmpeg release. And
it's good that you mention time frames of mythtv's ffmpeg syncing back
to upstream, as that signals how long a release cycle is expected to
be. Maybe other projects could chime in and quote their ffmpeg sync
rates, so we can make everybody happy. :)

> We do a sync in MythTV every two months or so, or whenever a
> major bug that has been reported to us is fixed in ffmpeg HEAD.
> Our version has it's own bugs, but if a few different distros
> were using a similar snapshot it would be more likely that I
> could find any reported bugs against MythTV's ffmpeg in a google
> search, leaving me more time for coding...

These are some of the benefits I'm hoping official releases will lead
to. I also hope for local ffmpeg copies to submit back any patches to
upstream and become more comfortable with using the releases directly
instead of keeping a local copy. And the more an official point of
reference gets used the more bug fixes will stream in from outside of
ffmpeg, so all parties win.

There is a long way to go until this confidence builds up, but I
think we can get there. We just need to get the ball rolling.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net