[Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Dave Dodge dododge
Wed Apr 18 11:40:57 CEST 2007

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 07:29:19PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 12:08:04AM +0200, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> > A few interesting facts about Mercurial:

If using Mercurial, be sure to look at the "mq" extension (bundled
with recent versions, but you have to explicitly activate it).  It
provides the ability to do development in the form of a patches
against a repository instead of, or as a precursor to, hard commits.
It's modeled after the "quilt" software, but unlike using quilt it's
actually integrated into the revision history.  For example the
currently-applied patches are visible with "hg view" and "hg log".

GIT has a similar add-on called "guilt", which appears to be basing
its design on mq though I don't know how similar they currently are.

> I'm opposed to Mercurial unless you're willing to write a portable
> implementation in C or Bourne shell + POSIX utils. I don't have Python
> and it's not terribly portable... Last time I tried to build it I
> remember it being hell...

As mentioned elsewhere, Mozilla recently chose Mercurial over GIT, and
I think portability (at least to the development platforms they care
about) was the major factor in that decision.

                                                  -Dave Dodge