[Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Rich Felker dalias
Wed Apr 18 18:56:09 CEST 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 05:38:46PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> That said, the more elegant the language, the nastier the implementation
> tends to be.  This suggests that many of these languages are best left
> to the academics and not used for real-world projects.

I haven't RTFS'd, but I suspect Lua may be the one exception: both
elegant and clean. Scheme and lisp implementations could be nice too
if their implementors didn't introduce gross levels of complexity and
nonportability for the sake of irrelevant micro-optimiztions.

One amusing story about nasty "implementation": ocaml's caml source is
full of French comments, written using latin1. Now, the compiler
parses source files using the C multibyte/wide functions, so if your
encoding is UTF-8, it fails to build with EILSEQ errors. :-P

I suspect the build system is trying to set LC_ALL=C to avoid this,
but that's wrong too; you should expect that any byte with bit-8 set
could result in EILSEQ in the "C" locale... But hey glibc and broken
legacy implementations treat the "C" locale as if it were latin1, and
if it works on glibc no problem, huh? :(

Rich