[Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Attila Kinali attila
Wed Apr 18 20:42:44 CEST 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:38:46 +0100 (BST)
M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com> wrote:

> Attila Kinali wrote:

> I don't know why, but I tend to disagree with Python aficionados on
> more than mere choice of language.  Also, reading Python code always
> makes me feel uneasy.

Well, Python isn't a nice language (imho in a lot of ways
worse than Perl), but it isn't half bad if you get used
to it. There are definitly languages that are worse, a lot
worse.

> > Well, i tried darcs about 3 years ago. Set up a test repo, did
> > a few things i was used to do with cvs and run into problems
> > that darcs couldn't solve. It was to some extend a bug of darcs
> > (it was supposed to be possible), but a look at the code revealed
> > that it was a design problem rather than just a bug. Questions
> > about this on the ml were simply ignored.
> >
> > No idea whether they fixed these issues by now, but then darcs
> > pretty much died for me.
>
> Out of interest, which were the operations that failed?

Good question. I don't really remember. I'm just sure
it was a non-basic operation, but one that i used once
in a while on the mplayer repo.

> Agreed.  To quote esr:
>
> LISP is worth learning for a different reason [than Perl] ? the profound
> enlightenment experience you will have when you finally get it.  That
> experience will make you a better programmer for the rest of your days,
> even if you never actually use LISP itself a lot.

Just don't start with CML, it has one of the longest
and most complicated language descriptions :-)

> That said, the more elegant the language, the nastier the implementation
> tends to be.  This suggests that many of these languages are best left
> to the academics and not used for real-world projects.

Could very well be, my gut feeling says something similar.
Espcialy after having read more than enough CS papers i know
that these guys tend to live in their own little world.
Last example i've read just today was STM (software
transactional memory). They make a "lock less" system by
assuming that the hardware can do serialization and atomic
operations.

				Attila Kinali

--
Linux ist... wenn man einfache Dinge auch mit einer kryptischen
post-fix Sprache loesen kann