emacsen (was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump)

Diego Biurrun diego
Thu Apr 19 11:09:24 CEST 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 07:12:52PM -0400, Dave Dodge wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 07:46:39PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > Weird.. I found XEmacs several times faster but maybe it's because I'm
> > using the console (-nw) version and not the GUI..?
>
> Probably.  I don't know how XEmacs currently performs, but certainly
> 10+ years ago when I first tried it the X11 display was _much_ more
> sluggish (and cluttered) than GNU.
>
> Unfortunately GNU has lately been aping some of the XEmacs clutter,
> such as having a toolbar.  The toolbar can be turned off easily
> enough, but I find that when you do that at startup it causes the
> window to shrink a bit rather than simply replacing the toolbar's
> space with text.  Only happens this way at startup, though; like some
> sort of race condition.

I have the following in my .Xresources, works around the problem.

Emacs.toolBar:                 off
Emacs.menuBar:                 off
Emacs.verticalScrollBars:      off

Diego

P.S.: Has changing subjects gone out of style?