[Ffmpeg-devel] buffer underflow messages from the output_example.c

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Apr 21 22:19:42 CEST 2007

Hi

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 04:13:37PM +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> I posted my problem with buffer underflow messages when running
> output_example.c
> to the ffmpeg-user list, but perhaps that was not
> the right list? I've looked into it a bit, so here is an updated posting.
> When I compile and run libavformat's
> output_example.c with output.dvd as the command line argument

output example is not the correct application to make dvd compliant mpeg2

> I get buffer underflow messages.
> Looking at the code I see these come from libavformat/mpeg.c in the
> function remove_decoded_packets().
> The code looks suspicious at this point: the while loop can never
> execute more than once; it looks as if a statement like
> pkt_desc = stream->predecode_packet;
> has been omitted after the
> av_freep(&pkt_desc);
> However, I can't see that there is any looping to be done, so that the
> function could be simplified to

i rather think that theres a pkt_desc= ... missing in the loop (patch
welcome if regression tests pass ...)

[...]

> The other problem I had (see below) I rather think may be nothing to do
> with tho
> se buffer underflow messages. Is there a good stream analyzer that can

if that is with output_example then its bugstate->invalid/closed

also only the while loop disscussion is on topic for ffmpeg-dev from your
mail

The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool.
-- Epicurus