[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] remove support for AMR NB fixed-point

Diego Biurrun diego
Sun Apr 22 14:53:49 CEST 2007

I would like to remove support for AMR NB, fixed-point version.

The feature is non-essential, we have support for the floating-point
version.

The support we currently have is extremely hackish, external source code
needs to be imported into FFmpeg.  For AMR NB floating-point version
there now exist proper libraries.  Removing support might motivate
somebody to do this for the fixed-point version as well.

Furthermore, the AMR libraries are non-free.  If they are imported into
FFmpeg, the resulting FFmpeg libraries and binaries are undistributable.
This is not something we should be encouraging.

Opinions?

Diego