[Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Fri Apr 27 23:58:51 CEST 2007

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:55:34 +0200
Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at email.it> wrote:

> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
> >ive looked at mercurial and played a little with it and it seems to be
> >great, that is MUCH better then svn/cvs
> >
> >what advantages does git have over mercurial?
> >can a mercurial repository be converted to git?
> >can changes with complete history be moved between different mercurial repos?
> >
> >[...]
> >

> did I misread the docs or HG has the same limitations as cvs as far as
> rollbacks are concerned?

I'm not a CVS expert so I don't know what you mean concerning it's
rollbacks limitations.
Still, here is a simple explanation about HG rollbacks.

Mercurial is based on the principle that history is immutable. So you
can't remove revisions, you can only add new revisions.
There is a small exception (to confirm the rule): you can rollback
the very latest action (commit, push...). This only works for the
very latest action and you can't use rollback twice.

Now if you really want to truncate the history, there are some simple
solutions such a cloning the repository but only up to a specific
revision (hg clone -r $version).

If that don't answer your question, please rephrase it with no reference
to cvs ;-)

Aurel