[FFmpeg-devel] AC3 Format Detection unreliable.

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Aug 5 04:05:24 CEST 2007

Hi

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 08:33:03PM -0400, Justin Ruggles wrote:
> Justin Ruggles wrote:
> > Dan Sully wrote:
> >> * Dan Sully shaped the electrons to say...

> >> Also, I am on an amd64 system.
> >
> > Doesn't look like that's an issue.  I'm getting the same thing on my
> > system.  The file is valid.  The issue seems to be the frame size.
> > 640kbps 48kHz is the largest AC3 frame size, and I think it's not
> > fitting enough frames into the probe buffer to give a positive
> > detection.  I'll look into it.
>
> The problem with this sample is two-fold.  The first issue is that the
> probe buffer in this case is only 2048 bytes.  The frame size for this
> sample (and any others which are 640kbps & 48kHz) is 2560.  Therefore,
> only 1 frame is detected.  I changed the threshold for a score of 50
> down to 2 frames, but this doesn't help here.  After I changed to 1
> frame (at the start of the stream) it now gets a score of 50, but then a
> 2nd issue occurs.

so you havent fixed the issue but you sucessfully broke the whole probe
system in lavf, great

the ff_ac3_parse_header function checks only something like 18bits
a single match at the start IS NOT enough for a score of 50%
mpeg-ps checks for somthing like 60bits and does misdetect it so
how many misdetections do you think you added by decreasing the
bits for ac3 to 18 at the start or 36 at a random pos?

also keep in mind that if no detection happens in 2048 bytes lavf will
increase the buffer size until a reasonable detection is achived!

so to summarize do NOT "fix" bugs if you do NOT FULLY understand why
it doesnt work and how the code works, this comment is not intended
to you but rather to alot of people here
when i think of pts/dts issues old ogg-vorbis, flv, swf, ... patches
which where applied these all added fantastically broken, huge, stupid and
unneeded code to workaround bugs in some other part of the code

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin