[FFmpeg-devel] [DOC] FFSERVER Configuration Files.

Piero Bugoni ffmpeg.devel
Thu Aug 9 00:54:55 CEST 2007

> > > you misunderstand
> > > fixed qp encoding IS fundamentally not suitable for streaming, it does not
> > > matter what bandwidth you have
> >
> > Why is that?
>
> because if you set qp high quality will be bad, if you set it low your
> bandwidth will be insufficient if the video has the wrong content
> your video might need the bitrates written above another might need 10x
> the bitrate at the same qp (and i mean same resolution and framerate)
>

> use bitrate and maxrate (and maxrate at least 30% higher than bitrate)
> set qmin=2 qmax=31
>
> [...]

I did not see a "maxrate" setting in the original ffserver.conf, so if it exists then maybe it is
MaxRate, otherwise this translates to something like this in the conf file:

VideoBitRate
Would be set to that 30% higher value in the conf file, (maxrate), and the "bitrate" and "maxrate"
options would be used on the command line.

I never saw any video with a "Q" value over about 12 that I was ever interested in viewing. I
thought about stream qaulity and I presumed the setup would be used in a security-camera type
operation. If the video quality is not sufficient to positively id someone then it is pointles,
but does make for abstract art.

I understand bitrate is content dependent. The fixed "Q" values give an indication of where to
start. I had run tests with a video that I figured changed enough, frame to frame. However, I
suppose encoding a video of white noise might give some indication of bitrate range.

So a range can be set down to the minimum viewing quality.

I'll test some of this.

P.