[FFmpeg-devel] Fixing configure on Solaris

Måns Rullgård mans
Thu Aug 9 10:08:37 CEST 2007

Roman Shaposhnick <rvs at sun.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 00:51 +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 02:08:56PM -0700, Roman Shaposhnick wrote:
>> > As per grep(1) man page:
>> >
>> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > Portability note: unlike GNU grep, traditional grep did not conform to
>> > POSIX.2, because traditional grep lacked a -q option  and  its  -s
>> > option  behaved  like GNU grep's -q option.  Shell scripts intended to
>> > be portable to traditional grep should avoid both -q and -s and should
>> > redirect output to /dev/null instead.
>> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> > Ok to apply?
>>
>> I don't like it.  -q is part of POSIX[1].
>
>   True. And that's exactly why I quoted the paragraph from the grep
> manual: for the POSIX environment it is NOT needed, yet it is
> recommended for improved portability.

We've decided on POSIX as the required baseline functionality.  I see
no need to support non-POSIX tools, especially considering that
Solaris does have POSIX-compatible tools available.

>> Why don't you fix the stone age tools in Solaris?
>
>   Oh, don't get me wrong -- its not like it is broken on Solaris or
> anything. A fully POSIX compliant grep is available from /usr/xpg4/bin.
> This was more a question of default behavior I guess.

Then the question is, why are the proper tools hidden away in
/usr/xpg4/bin with the broken ones still in /bin?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com