[FFmpeg-devel] Accelarated MPEG2 to MPEG4 transcoding

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Aug 13 14:00:42 CEST 2007

Hi

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 02:45:26PM +0300, Vladimir Moushkov wrote:
> Hello beloved FFMPEG developers!
>
> Recently I found this paper:
>
> http://166.104.44.162/lecture/dh/08_Fast%20Transcoding%20Algorithm%
> 20from%20MPEG2%20to%20H264.pdf
>
> Which describes how to get motion vectors from mpeg2 stream and re-use
> them when transcoding to mpeg4, as also other information. The time
> saved is over 60%.
>
> So my question is currently ffmpeg using any of the mpeg2 information
> when transcodign to mpeg4 or it is doing raw encoding?

depends on comand line options
for details please read the fine manual

Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not
or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and
the brevity of human life -- Protagoras