[FFmpeg-devel] The New Flash Video

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Tue Aug 21 18:34:46 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 06:20:03PM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> Mike Melanson wrote:
> > Big news: The most frequently asked question for FFmpeg usage is about
> > to go from:
> >
> > "How do I encode FLV files with Sorenson H.263 video and MP3 audio?"
> >
> > to:
> >
> > "How to I encode MP4 files with H.264 video and AAC audio?"
> >
> > More:
> >
> > http://www.kaourantin.net/2007/08/what-just-happened-to-video-on-web_20.html
> >

> Some people find this piece of news very disappointing:
> http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/vorbis/2007-August/026930.html

While they may have a point with audio (though I doubt vorbis in mp4 is
standardized), I can't see what they could have offered in terms of video
unless "free" is the only thing you care about...
Also looking at the available (hardware) players, I'd say H264/AAC has long
since become the standard outside the web at least.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger