[FFmpeg-devel] New Java wrapper for ffmpeg libraries using JNA

Ken Larson forum
Wed Aug 22 19:09:46 CEST 2007

I thought you might be interested to know I've wrapped ffmpeg so that it
can be called from Java using JNA.

This is a subproject of FMJ, and is called ffmpeg-java.  It has no
JMF/FMJ dependencies itself, it is just a wrapper.  It has its own
release under the FMJ downloads, and is in FMJ's CVS tree under
ffmpeg-java.

Included in the project a Java version of avcodec_sample.0.4.9.cpp,  a
sample program which extracts the first 5 frames of a movie.

I have also created a JMF demultiplexer in the FMJ project, so that
ffmpeg can be used to parse and decode .mov and .avi files, for example.

This effort is similar in some ways to the fobs4jmf and jffmpeg efforts,
but the main differences are:
- fobs4jmf is a C++ wrapper first, then a Java wrapper.  The Java
wrapper does not have access to the full functionality of ffmpeg as a
result, unlike ffmpeg-java.
- jffmpeg attempts to port parts of ffmpeg to Java, which is a huge and
difficult effort, and always lags behind in both features and performance.

FMJ's website is
http://fmj.sourceforge.net/

Ken Larson