[FFmpeg-devel] Ffmpeg aac audio encoding limited to 152 kbps

Michael Poythress michael
Thu Aug 23 07:05:44 CEST 2007

Before I get flamed for asking an obvious question, please understand that I
am not asking for step-by-step help in resolving anything.  I am *not*
running the absolute latest SVN of ffmpeg, because this is for a production
environment where we cannot take the risk of breaking something each day.

I would just like a quick answer, if anyone is familiar with this issue.
When running the command to convert audio formats...

    ffmpeg -i "AudioInput.aif" -ab 160 "AudioOutput.m4a"

...the maximum bitrate I can get is 152 kbps.  No matter whether I change
the -ab value to "256", "160k", or "160000" (that last one doesn't work at
all; incorrect parameters error).  With any bitrate value less than 152,
ffmpeg nails it.

Is this some sort of limitation within ffmpeg?  Libfaac?  Something else?

I have spent a great deal of time searching around for the answer to this
before posting, but came up empty handed.  So your consideration would be
greatly appreciated, lest I unnecessarily begin taking this system apart
piece by piece to locate the problem....

Thanks!