[FFmpeg-devel] [DOC] FFSERVER Configuration Files.

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Aug 24 12:15:31 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 11:42:22PM -0700, Piero Bugoni wrote:

> --- Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 07:45:32PM -0700, Piero Bugoni wrote:
> > > Can someone please review the new post of these files?
> > >
> > > I posted them about a week ago in response to the previous review of them.
> > > (Thanks, Diego).
> >
> > the qmin=qmax together with a buffer size and bitrate make no sense
> > its contradicting
> >
> > all patches which set qmin=qmax and at the same time set a buffer size
> > or bitrate are rejected, also if you want examples with contant quantizers
> > then the proper thing to do is set Qscale
> > though the resulting thing cannot be streamed reliably
> >

> Yet they work fine, and have been used immediately by at least half a dozen
> posters in ffmpeg-user. Or, to put it more succinctly, they have stood the test
> of ffmpeg-user.

well ffmpeg-user us comparing non working to 98% working stuff ...

> Nonetheless, these files evolved as other combinations of options failed. I
> never proposed that they are correct, only that they work as-is. (The
> ffserver.conf that ships with ffmped does not work at all).
>
> The "Q" was fixed for a reason. (As a way of elucidating the other values.) I
> can edit the files to other working configurations, but as I have said, a
> document explaining the files is necessary.
>
> The goal was to provide a working config from which people could tweak their
> way outwards, rather than a non working config from which they can only hope to
> tweak their way inwards.
>
> That being said, pick one file you reject, edit it to your liking, post it with
> the appropriate command line, and I'll put it to work.

just remove the VideoQMin/Max
and add VideoBitRateRange 0-<something _larger_ than the VideoBitRate>

When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your
own failings. Then you will forget your anger. -- Epictetus