[FFmpeg-devel] The New Flash Video

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Aug 24 15:22:18 CEST 2007

Hi

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 03:01:30PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 09:03:51AM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:
> >
> > More:
> >
> > http://www.kaourantin.net/2007/08/what-just-happened-to-video-on-web_20.html
>
> Hmmmm
>
>   Overall though and leaving out the bugs I listed here which are my
>   fault, the H.264 decoder is a remarkable piece of engineering, it is
>   provided to us by MainConcept. It weights in at less than 100KB of
>   compressed code which is quite an achievement for such a complicated
>   standard.
>
> How does this decoder compare to FFmpeg's?

with --enable-small, strip and lzma

-rw-r----- 1 michael michael  1254 2007-08-24 15:22 h264idct.o.lzma
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael 52483 2007-08-24 15:22 h264.o.lzma
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael   662 2007-08-24 15:22 h264_parser.o.lzma

thats without dsputil stuff though which iam to lazy to seperate h264 out
for testing

and with bzip2 instead of lzma:
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael  1418 2007-08-24 15:22 h264idct.o.bz2
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael 58282 2007-08-24 15:22 h264.o.bz2
-rw-r----- 1 michael michael   797 2007-08-24 15:22 h264_parser.o.bz2

(lzma is tuned for binaries ...)

Why not whip the teacher when the pupil misbehaves? -- Diogenes of Sinope