[FFmpeg-devel] Betreff: ipod Baseline Low-Complexity Profile

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Aug 30 20:49:15 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 07:37:59PM +0200, Tobias Brockamp wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> im trying to encode videos for the iPod in 640x480 resolution which
> should use "Baseline Low-Complexity Profile"
> as described in the iPod specs.
>
> I found this tutorial by Robert Swain:
>
> http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/useful-stuff/ipod-video-guide/
>
> I've read in the mailinglist-archive about a libavformat hack by
> Tyler Loch, which automatically sets the uuid.
> Is there an official ffmpeg-build which sets the tag autmatically
> f.e. with an option like
> "-f ipod"?
>
> What do you think about the other know Tools for setting the uuid
> (NicMP4Box Hack, AtomicParsley)? Which
> way does ffmpegX, isquint use, anybody an idea?

this list is for development of ffmpeg not user questions (well actually
i dont mind user questions but this has been discussed in the past ...)

ffmpeg has no problems with generating 640x480 videos which work on the
ipod
some versions (possibly all) of apples itunes refuse to transfer the video
to the ipod if it doesnt contain some specific UUID
and noone has posted a patch to cleanly add this UUID IIRC in our muxer
that is if it is needed at all anymore with latest apple crapware

PS: why dont you just use free (and working) software to transfer your
videos to the ipod?

I hate to see young programmers poisoned by the kind of thinking
Ulrich Drepper puts forward since it is simply too narrow -- Roman Shaposhnik