[FFmpeg-devel] libossupport status

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Sat Dec 29 18:09:18 CET 2007

Hi,

On Dec 29, 2007 6:59 AM, Fran?ois Revol <revol at free.fr> wrote:

> > > And this way of returning errors is shamely reused in other things
> > > like
> > > OSS, up to apps. Even ffmpeg did that at some point (and still does
> > > but
> > > through a macro).
> >
> > It's hardly shameful.
>
> It is.

I want to fully support this one, becuase it doesn't allow very meaningful
error reporting. A more proper way would be to use both error domains and
codes (e.g. in a x<<16|y way, but it could also be a complete struct such as
in glib).  Reason is that we can only return system codes, not http error
codes, host resolving problems, rtsp status messages or anything else. E* is
severely limited, allowing multiple classes would be nice to have if people
can agree on some specific implementation (e.g. -((1<<16)|abs(errno)) for
system errors, -((2<<16)|http_error_code) for http errors etc., or
whatever).

Ronald