[Ffmpeg-devel] Interlaced decoding internals?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Feb 6 01:16:17 CET 2007

Hi

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 08:31:41PM +0200, Kostya wrote:
> I'm working on adding interlaced frame support for VC-1 and
> has some question regarding AVCodecContext internals:
> What do avctx->interlaced_frame, avctx->top_field_first
> and avctx->repeat_pict affect if set by decoder?

they are not in AVCodecContext but AVFrame
they affect display, top_field_first affects the order in which
fields are shown, interlaced_frame affects if the frame is shown
as frame or as 2 fields at 2 seperate times (assuming the player
applictaion cares about the at all of course ...)

> And is it enough to set them and lavc will do the rest of work
> or decoder also needs to output picture in standard format?

the decoder always outputs frames, they can either be made of
2 fields (even and odd lines) or 1 frame
btw, can VC1 not switch interlaced coding at macroblock level
like MPEG2, MPEG4 and H264?

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it. -- Voltaire